Report a Concern

The Property Maintenance Unit conducts investigations and initiates compliance measures with property owners, when warranted, for various city codes relating to anti-blight programs, property maintenance and public nuisance matters. The property maintenance unit also responds to numerous types of Service Request initiated by the public.

Complaints may be submitted by completing the online Report a Concern via Web-form or by printing the PDF version of the Report a Concern PDF Form and returning it to the Department of Inspection Services either in person to City Hall, email: or fax: 205-719-6555. Please be sure to complete the form in its entirety.

If you are reporting a street light outage, you may report the outage directly to Alabama Power.

For Life-threatening emergencies please 911

After-hours noise complaints should be reported to 699-2581.

What Should I Do if I'm Cited?

What Is It?

We investigate potential code violations after we receive a complaint (see common questions about codes). If someone complained about your property and we found a violation, you may be contacted by an inspector or you may receive a notice in the mail.

If you receive a warning, citation, Notice of Violation, Emergency Order, or other enforcement document, read it completely! It will explain:

  • Why you are being contacted by the City
  • What you need to correct
  • How much time you have to fix the problem
  • Who your inspector is
  • Whether you have a right to appeal or request a review
  • Make sure you contact your assigned inspector right away so he or she can work with you throughout the correction process.

You can find more information about the complaint process by calling 205-699-0907.

What It Isn’t

This page does not cover how to file a complaint and does not have information about requirements of specific codes.

Read the Code

You may access MuniCode for more information about housing and building maintenance standards:

Report a Problem